Third Annual iLearning Conference
Presented by the Department of Online Learning for UM Deans, Department Chairs, and Faculty
November 15, 2012, in the Union Ballroom and Union Room 404 A&B
The third annual iLearning Conference is designed to provide a venue for UM deans, department chairs, and faculty to investigate online instruction, to engage in discussion with other UM faculty currently teaching online courses, and to visit with technical staff about available technologies related to online teaching.
The Office of Online Learning will also present the third annual Paragon Award for Excellence in Distance Teaching at an award luncheon. The purpose of this annual $1,000 award is to recognize a faculty member who has demonstrated the ability to provide quality education and/or service to Ole Miss students through the use of innovative distance learning technologies.
Dr. Trey Martindale will speak on the topic “Ready or Not, Change is Happening in Higher Education” and share what he sees happening in the present and future worlds of teaching and learning in higher education based on his experience as an Associate Professor in the Instructional Design and Technology program with the University of Memphis, and a research scientist with the University of Memphis Institute of Intelligent Systems (IIS). He will reflect on how public higher education faculty can and must change as the environment and “market” changes.
- Learn the status of different online and blended programs here at the university.
- Get your questions answered by faculty currently teaching online courses.
- Learn about the rewards (and trials) of launching a department wide online/blended program.
- Discover what skills are needed for effective online instruction.
- Interact directly with the online technology staff.
- Discover what resources are available to online and blended learning instructors, from Library resources, to specialized training opportunities.
- Learn more about the impact that the Americans With Disabilities Act will have on future online classes from the Office of Student Disability Services.
10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. Roundtable discussions with current online instructors and technology overviews with several of our technical staff
12:00 p.m. – Luncheon begins,* provided by Office of Online Learning
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Paragon Award presentation and Guest speaker Dr. Trey Martindale
* Please make reservations at http://goo.gl/jZdGC if you plan to eat lunch. It is not necessary to order lunch to attend the morning activities or Dr. Martindale’s address.